Website CityofSurrey City of Surrey
The future lives here.
Transportation Planner 2
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
CUPE Local 402 – Regular Full-Time
The Transportation Division of Surrey’s Engineering Department has an exciting opportunity for an individual who is looking for challenging work on a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team responsible for guiding Surrey’s ongoing transformation from an auto-oriented suburb to a complete community that supports active transportation, social equity and sustainability. As a permanent full-time Transportation Planner 2, you will have an opportunity to positively impact the lives of Surrey residents through excellence in transportation planning. You bring considerable planning experience and knowledge of transportation practices to this role – leading transportation planning initiatives, guiding the work of junior staff, developing transportation policy and plans, and working alongside municipal and regional partners.
This position will report to the Senior Transportation Planner. The successful candidate will contribute to a wide variety of exciting initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Delivering the visionary Surrey Transportation Plan.
- Developing transportation network assumptions for Neighbourhood Concept Plans.
- Providing input into capital projects delivered through the 10 Year Servicing Plan.
- Championing active transportation and helping build Surrey’s network of protected cycling facilities.
- Working with TransLink on walking, cycling, and bus speed and reliability cost-sharing programs.
- Updating the South of Fraser Area Transit Plan and Surrey-Langley SkyTrain Bus Integration Plan.
- Representing Transportation at public events like Party for the Planet and Car Free Day.
- Leading public engagement on key transportation planning plans and projects.
- Supporting junior staff assigned to various projects and assisting in the training and development of junior staff and new
- Sourcing and managing the work of consultants engaged on transportation planning projects.
The successful incumbent will possess excellent interpersonal skills and have a proven track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation. This individual will be highly organized with a proven ability to manage concurrent projects and competing demands.
You have a minimum of 5 years’ related experience, along with a Master’s degree in Planning or a related discipline. You have a solid understanding of the principles, practices and objectives of urban and transportation planning. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
Membership or eligibility for membership in a professional association (e.g. Planning Institute of British Columbia; Canadian Institute of Planners) is considered an asset. A valid BC Driver’s License with satisfactory driving record is required.
This position is open until April 5, 2023
To apply for this job please visit careers.surrey.ca.