Website Ministry of Transportation
Senior Systems Engineer
Are you interested in providing senior systems engineering expertise in the full systems development life cycle of Intelligent Transportation Systems (from planning, design, development, and implementation, to systems integration, deployment, operation and maintenance)? If yes, please consider this exciting opportunity with the Ministry of Transportation.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• provide systems engineering leadership in managing complex Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) software development projects
• support the development and execution of system life-cycle replacement/enhancement strategies and plans to design and build new systems
• liaise with internal stakeholders to analyze user/business requirements and translate them to technical systems requirements
• provide advisory and consultative services regarding equipment acquisition and implementation
• prepare various detailed engineering standards, program documentation, manuals, and technical reports
How do I qualify?
• You are a Professional Engineer, licensed with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
• knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of system engineering approaches in the design, development and implementation of new/enhanced Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and traffic/transportation system components
• knowledge of theories, principles and practices related to ITS and traffic/transportation management operations, and understanding of the planning, design and operation of ITS systems and services
• knowledge of the latest industry standards and latest technologies to ensure the planned systems’ performance, integration and management meet the ministry’s objectives and requirements
• knowledge of developing, implementing and maintaining application software specifically designed for the Province-wide COMPASS System to ensure the provision of reliable, safe and cost-effective central computer services
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
You are able to:
• establish effective working relationships with colleagues, associates and officials
• provide specialized technical expertise and advisory services
• communicate technology subject matter and present to senior management or business owners with clarity and concision
Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills:
You are able to:
• assess, accept, reject or amend design and other proposals
• assess consultant and supplier proposals
• resolve production system problems and performances by analysis, debugging, identifying the root cause and applying corrective maintenance
• review and resolve system integration-related issues to new device type, data source and technology
• review system proposals and analysis provided by internal and external clients/contractors/consultants
Salary Range: $83,634 – $115,815 Per Year
- 1 Permanent – Full Time, 159 Sir William Hearst Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 193060, by Thursday, February 16, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To apply for this job please visit www.gojobs.gov.on.ca.