Looking to expand your horizons and want to work on multi-modal and sustainable transportation projects with an experienced and passionate team? WATT Consulting Group’s Edmonton office seeks a senior transportation engineer to join us at our very busy practice serving communities and clients across Alberta and elsewhere in Canada. You will also have the opportunity to support projects coming out of our BC and Calgary offices.
We are looking for dynamic individuals that are committed to high-quality professional work, meeting the needs of our clients, and working with our multi-disciplinary team to create vibrant and livable communities.
Come visit us at our booth at the ITE Canada Conference in Winnipeg from June 4-7.
About the Role
As a Senior Transportation Engineer at WATT, you will be involved in a wide range of mobility projects from multi-modal planning and design to traffic operations and impact studies. The primary responsibility will be to manage transportation engineering projects from start to finish with the support of junior/technical staff, while also collaboratively helping to guide the overall development and resilience of our organization’s transportation engineering practice. The role will also involve identifying and developing existing and new business development opportunities with clients in both the public and private sectors, as well as providing transportation engineering expertise to other members of our “One Studio” integrated transportation team in both advisory and support roles. An important part of the role may also include supervising and developing assigned staff, as well as providing leadership and mentorship to other staff in developing their technical and soft skills. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
· Assist in developing WATT’s transportation engineering practice, including identifying future opportunities and resource requirements to the Alberta Regional Lead of Transportation, assisting with identifying membership needs for staff with transportation-specific organizations (such as the Institute of Transportation Engineers), and supporting the development of standard practices and processes for traffic engineering that may be used across the division.
· Manage a range of transportation engineering projects, ensuring schedule and budget adherence, balanced project team resources, on-going client communication, invoicing, and adherence to our corporate quality control processes.
· Apply technical transportation engineering expertise in the areas of network and intersection analysis, transportation / traffic impact assessments, active transportation planning and facility design, transit, and multi-modal road safety to provide clients with options and opportunities to create vibrant and livable communities through management of transportation.
· Oversee the conceptual and functional design of transportation corridors, transit exchanges, bike/pedestrian facilities, traffic calming, intersection treatments, and other multi-modal transportation infrastructure.
· Potentially supervise and develop the performance of any assigned staff (including approving payroll and vacation requests and undertaking performance planning processes with them), as well as work with and support other WATT team members by assisting project managers, peer-reviewing the technical work, and mentoring / advising other junior staff.
· Organize and attend client, community and Council meetings and other public engagement activities, and present / communicate technical information in a coherent manner.
· Prepare written documentation of project work in a clear and concise manner.
· Prepare written materials including technical letters, memos, and reports.
· Pursue business development opportunities with past, current, and prospective clients.
· Lead or support the preparation of proposals for public and private sector clients.
· Maintain technical competency in transportation engineering and project delivery, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
· Assist with monitoring and verifying team compliance with WATT’s Professional Practice Management Plan for the respective jurisdiction(s) where you practice, as well as assist in ensuring compliance with any other project management and quality assurance processes and documentation adopted by our organization.
· Plan and manage data collection programs.
· Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities.
· Travel within Alberta as required, as well as opportunity for travel to support other projects within Western Canada.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
· A registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or the ability to become a P.Eng. with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) within one (1) month of accepting the position. Additional registration in Professional Engineering organizations in other Canadian provinces or territories considered an asset.
· At least seven (7+) or more years of transportation engineering experience, preferably focused in any/all of the following areas: traffic impact assessments, traffic management plans for construction zones, transportation master plans, signal timing, safety audits, traffic modeling, and active transportation planning and design.
· Physically located within Alberta and able to regularly attend in-person meetings.
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills.
· Direct experience managing projects with clients.
· Experience using capacity analysis / microsimulation software such as Synchro / SimTraffic, and SIDRA required. Experience with VISSIM, and VISUM is considered an asset.
· PTOE or RSP certification is considered an asset.
· Working knowledge of key technical manuals such as TAC, ITE, NACTO, and Provincial Manuals.
· Experience in the following supporting areas is an asset: parking management, transportation demand management (TDM), transit planning and operations, and civil design.
· A valid AB Drivers’ License.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary transportation planning and engineering, civil engineering, and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Vancouver, and the Okanagan. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our individual offices have smaller dynamic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with more than 30 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livability. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization and share our interest in creating vibrant and livable communities, submit your resume to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for this position.