The Project Manager, Road Safety delivers projects which advance the goals of the Transportation and Fleet Management Services department. This includes delivery of initiatives in the MoveSmart Mobility Management Strategy, advance road safety initiatives in the Region’s Traveller Safety Plan, delivery of traffic planning studies, provide traffic support to the Yonge North Subway Extension (YNSE) and the Toronto Transit Corporation Bus Rapid Transit network along Steeles Avenue project team on behalf of the City of Vaughan, and reviewing and advising on traffic analysis and design for City-led, third party-led and development driven projects.
Providing leadership, technical expertise and project management services for the planning, developing and implementation of transportation technologies, contracts, strategies, projects, policies and procedures related to traffic management, road safety and traffic operations. Conducting and managing major transportation/traffic studies and traffic operational analysis. The Project Manager will review site plans to prioritize road safety and minimize conflicts between different modes of transportation.
Responsible for addressing traffic operations through daily management of the traffic services function, responding to stakeholder inquiries and complaints, and consultation with the public. Represents the City at public meetings and consultations, also responsible for improving the coordination and response times to requests from residents and elected officials to review existing traffic management and presents recommendations to increase operational efficiency and public safety.
Qualifications and Experience
• University Degree in Transportation or Civil Engineering, Applied Science, Planning or suitable
• A Professional Engineer (P. Eng.), in good standing with the Professional Engineers Ontario is
strongly preferred or Full Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP) and full
member of the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI).
• Certification as a Project Manager Professional (PMP) through the Project Management
Institute an asset.
• Minimum five (5) years of experience in Transportation Planning, Traffic Engineering, road
infrastructure, with demonstrated commitment to quality and process as well as complex
• Working knowledge of traffic and transportation engineering and design principles and
• Thorough knowledge of traffic engineering and safety principles, practices, concepts,
legislation related to traffic engineering and regulatory control and approval process.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and manage complex problems, utilizing innovative
solutions where warranted.
• Demonstrated superior organizational, time management and project management skills to
lead a project or work group, organize numerous tasks, set priorities and meet tight
• Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills; excellent oral and written
communication skills. Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the Public, Staff,
Members of Council, and Consultants.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to connect with internal and external stakeholders from varying backgrounds and
degrees of experience
• Strong report writing and presentation skills and able to work to strict deadlines.
• Able to deal with the public in a positive and professional manner.
• Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications as well as proficiency with
specialized software applications and techniques relevant to the technical specialty.
• Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license in good standing with a reliable vehicle for business
purposes when required.
• Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in the City’s core as well as relevant departmental
• Standard office environment, field investigation as required. Travels to off-site locations, as
Apply for this position here.