The Transportation Engineering Lead is the senior lead responsible for the review of intensification / greenfield and complex development applications. This individual will collaborate with the Development Review Team on projects and will provide expertise on transportation engineering matters. This role also involves the management / undertaking of major transportation studies and traffic operational analysis including identification, evaluation and assessment of proposed transportation infrastructure improvements to support the expansion and improvements of the City’s transportation system as it relates to growth. The Transportation Engineering Lead will provide input to development agreements to ensure transportation related requirements are accurately and appropriately represented / addressed. This individual will develop implementation strategies required to mitigate the impact of development proposals.
The Transportation Engineering Lead will seek to provide on-going continuous improvement and increased efficiencies within the current development review process and will assist the Manager to review transportation system requirements within established service delivery expectations.
As subject matter expert, works in collaboration and partners with others as needed to review and negotiate transportation engineering and operational solutions. Represents the City’s interest in technical advisory committees.
The successful candidate will be eligible to participate in the City of Vaughan’s comprehensive benefit program and pension plan, receive an annual vacation entitlement, and much more.
In addition, at employee request, this position is eligible to take part in our hybrid work model as outlined in the City’s Alternative Work Arrangement Policy.
Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Civil Engineering, Applied Science or suitable equivalent.
• Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in transportation engineering, ideally managing/coordinating large, complex projects with political impact where the individual lead the team.
• A member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario in good standing, or suitable equivalent.
• Consciousness and understanding of development planning time lines for greenfield or intensification.
• Strong communication and collaborative skills to be able to work with diverse groups to come to common agreement.
• Solid understanding or working with and developing standards and procedures. Knowledge of the development process and the Ontario Planning Act.
• Ability to command and control meeting with peers, stakeholders, consultants and owners.
• Foresight to address/prepare for next stage of development.
• Experienced in leading teams of consultants as well as working with planners and developers.
• Ability to work outside of regular business hours as needed.
• Able to travel safely and efficiently to off site meeting and hearings as needed.
• Demonstrated strong communication, persuasion and negotiating skills working with various types of stakeholders.
• Demonstrated superior organizational and project management skills to lead a project or work group, organize numerous tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
Experience specific to the greenfield and intensification roles:
• Strong knowledge of transportation planning principles, concepts, practices, methods and legislation, GTA context and roles of different levels of government.
• Broad knowledge and implementation of Transportation Master Plans.
• Strong understanding of area development policies and secondary plans.
• Broad knowledge of traffic and transportation engineering and design principles and applications.
• Understands subdivision development and key milestones.
• Strong understanding of existing infrastructure in the City of Vaughan.
• Strong understanding of Planning Act for site plan development.
• Understands stages of site plan developments including key milestones.
Apply for this position here.